The Hornsea United Reformed Church dates back over 200 years to 1798.
The house of Mr Scaife was ‘licensed for preaching’ thanks to the efforts of Rev. George Lambert.
Back then it was known as the Congregational Church and the first Minister, Rev. Henry Earls started in 1803.
The Congregational Church moved around 1808 to new premises on Southgate, Hornsea.
Between 1872-74 the current church was built by Samuel Musgrave of Hull; a fire in 1968 severely damaged the church (more information below) and was subsequently remodelled.
In 1972 the Congregational Church became part of the United Reformed Church and has remained an active member ever since.
Some information from http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/east/vol7/pp273-295.
Hornsea Civic Society recently posted the story of a fire which ripped through the church roof in 1968.
The church central heating boiler had been converted from coal gas to use natural gas which burns at a higher temperature; this had not been taken fully into account and the boiler overheated.
The photos supplied by Frank Barrett and Frank Hobson to the civic society show the extent of the damage.
If you know any further details about the church’s history then please contact the webmaster using the Contact page.